The Church of the Transfiguration on Bolvanovka: history, address, shrines
Moscow is literally all strewnmagnificent Orthodox churches that our contemporaries inherited from their ancient ancestors. All these shrines in fact became dumb witnesses of the history of the formation of the great state of Russia. One such is the temple of the Transfiguration of the Savior on Bolvanovka, which for several centuries has sanctified this place with prayers to the Lord priests and faithful parishioners. And once this area in Zamoskvorechye was reserved for the settlement of foreigners.
The Church of the Transfiguration on Bolvanovka in Moscow
There is a legend that where there isNow this church, the great Moscow Russian princes, met the Khan's envoys with "dummy" or "basma" (an obsolete word, meaning "idol"). This was the name of a khan's figure, made of felt. Once the king of All Russia, John III (1440-1505 gg.) Broke, tore and trampled into the land of a fool. And this he showed to the enemies of the Russian land, that from now on he is not going to pay tribute, and the Mongol-Tatar ambassadors ordered to arrest and kill. In memory of this event on the spot of execution he decided to build a temple.
According to unverified data, this (thenwooden) a temple in Moscow was built approximately in 1465. But the first written mention of him refers to 1626. However, first it was built in honor of St. George the Victorious. In 1635 a number appeared the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord, erected by the nun Martha - the mother of the Russian Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich. And already here they opened a settlement. It was owned by Evdokia Lopukhin, who was the first wife of Peter the Great. It is known that in the 17th century, at the wooden church on Bolvanovka, there were thrones in the name of the Transfiguration of the Lord Jesus Christ and St. George the Victorious.
Repair and restoration
In 1708 the Church of the Transfiguration of Our Savior on Bolvanovkamuch dilapidated. Then the parishioners submitted a petition to the Synod. They wrote to the tsar that the church was in an emergency condition: during the rain, it was impossible to stand in the service, the floors rotted and collapsed, the porch also collapsed in parts. The parishioners asked their master to reconstruct the Transfiguration church. Therefore, in the same year, money was allocated for construction and permission was received from Metropolitan Stefan of Ryazan.
But a few more decades passed, and the templeThe Transfiguration of the Transfiguration on Bolvanovka changed its wooden buildings to brick ones. In the clerical statements for 1823 there is information that in 1722 the capital construction of the walls of the stone church began. The erection lasted long enough. It was completed only by 1755. Sponsors were merchants K. Matveev and D. Olenev, the author of the architectural project was V. Obukh.
Blessing of the chapels
At this time the shrine of St. George the Victoriousis converted into the chapels of Evdokia and the icon of the Mother of God, named "Joy of All Who Sorrow". But time is ruthless. Therefore, soon from the original composition there was only one building from the temple. In 1839, his parishioners again took up their business. Under the careful guidance of the merchant of the Moscow Ozersky, Andrian Ivanovich Ozersky, the refectory and the bell tower were constructed according to the project of NI Kozlovsky.
And then, with the blessing of Metropolitan Philaret,the throne of the icon of Our Lady "Joy of All Who Sorrow" was re-consecrated in the chapel of the name of the holy martyr Tatiana. In this matter, Tatiana Ivanovna's desires-Ozersky's wife, the main assistant to the titular counselor Putilov, whose deceased wife was also called Tatyana-were taken into account. At the end of the work, both the throne, the right (the holy Martyr Eudokia) and the left (the holy martyr Tatiana), were consecrated October 10 in 1839 by Vladyka Filaret.
In 1930, this temple in Moscow was closed.The belltower and the refectory were destroyed, icons with the image of the Transfiguration of Our Lord, the Mother of God "Iverskaya" and "My Mourning of Sorrow" were stolen. In 1932, the temple was decapitated, and the cross was removed. Then the chocolate factory "Rot Front" was placed in the building. And in the period from 1980 to 1990 in the temple worked section of the repair and construction department of the State Committee for Scientific and Technical Services. Then, long negotiations began on returning the lands back to the church. They are still conducted with the factory "Rot Front". In 1991, the possession of the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord was partially returned. In 1992, the church services were resumed.
The Church of the Transfiguration on Bolvanovka: a shrine, an address
The church has its own shrines:miraculous icons of the Mother of God, called "Help in childbirth", "Iverskaya" and "Soothe my sorrows." The address, which is the temple of the Transfiguration of the Lord on Bolvanovka: Moscow, Lane 2-nd Novokuznetsk, 10, building 1 (metro station "Paveletskaya"). Today, the shrine belongs to the Moscow diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church and contains five thrones: the Transfiguration of the Lord, the martyr Evdokia, St. Tatiana, St. George the Victorious and the icon of the Mother of God "Joy of All Who Sorrow".