/ / Church of St. Nicholas in Klennikov, Moscow

The Church of St. Nicholas in Klennikov in Moscow

The Church of St. Nicholas in Klennikov is locatedin the house number 5 on the street Maroseyka, just a few meters from the station "Kitai-Gorod". This church, according to the records of 1886-1887, officially referred to the so-called Sretensky magpie and is now a state-protected architectural monument of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

the temple of Nicholas the Wonderworker in the Klinniki
St. Nicholas, in whose honor he received hisThe name of the church of St. Nicholas in Klenniki, is one of the most revered in Christianity. He was born in the territory of modern Turkey, in the city of Patara in the third century. Being a small child, Nikolai showed amazing abilities for teaching, he loved solitude and was very pious. Even in his youth, he chose the way of serving the Orthodox Church and was subsequently ordained a priest. During his lifetime, Nicholas became famous for many miracles that occurred according to his prayers. In addition, the prelate always defended innocent convicts. Throughout his life he sought to appear at the call of the needy and provide the necessary assistance.

History of the appearance of the temple

St. John's Church in the Klinik
The Church of St. Nicholas in Klennikov, or rather hishistory, counts far more than one century. Back in the middle of the fifteenth century, on the vow of Ivan III, a small "ordinary" wooden church was erected on this site. They built it in honor of saving the Moscow Kremlin from a major fire. The stone church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Klenniki was erected much later, in early 1657, close to this wooden church. And it was originally called "Nikola in Pancake". Historians directly relate this to the large number of bakers who at that time lived in this area and traded pancakes. After almost forty years a new throne appeared at the temple. And almost at the same time, "pancakes" was transformed into "cloven". The latter means the location of the church in the maple grove. Since 1771, in all official documents, this religious structure is called, as the temple of St. Nicholas in the Klenniki.

The main stages in the life of the temple

St. Nicholas Church in the Klinniki
In the eighteenth century, the church suffered twice fromlarge fires, as a result of which many different reconstructions were repeatedly exposed. So, for example, in 1701, simultaneously with the restoration of the ruined southern side of the temple, the superstructure of the second floor was built and a new Kazan side-chapel was erected. After the fire, which occurred in 1749, the church partially changed the facades and appeared a three-tier bell tower of the baroque type. During the nineteenth century, the Church of St. Nicholas in Klennikov was renewed three more times, and the last time it was in 1894. Thirty-eight years later the church was closed, beheaded and even partially disassembled. Its main building of power was given for storage. Subsequently, there were institutions belonging to the Central Committee of the Komsomol. In early 1990, the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Klennikov was returned to the Orthodox Church and consecrated. It again resumed worship services. Today the church has been completely restored, and the parish library and icon-painting school work with him.

The Thrones of the Temple

The main shrines of the church in Klenniki are the imageMother of God "Feodorovskaya" and the ark with the relics of the righteous Alexy. The main throne, which is located in the upper church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, is consecrated in honor of the widely revered icon of the Mother of God. The side extension is in the name of Nikolai Mirlikiy. As for the lower church, one of his throne is consecrated in honor of All Saints who in the Russian land beamed, and the other - in honor of the holy martyr Sergius and the righteous Alexy who are the presbyters of Moscow.


Similar news